This simple pasta dish turns the bright flavors of caprese salad into a hearty treat you can enjoy any time of the year.
Baked Chicken Caprese Penne
To make this vegetarian omit chicken. You can substitute any grain pasta of your liking, I use red-lentil pasta.
- 400 g red lentil penne
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 bunch of basil
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 pint mini mozzarella balls
- red pepper flakes
- salt + pepper
- Heat a large pot of water to boil for your penne. Once boiling add penne for a total of 8 mins. During this time you can prepare the chicken & sauce.
- Preset oven to 350F.
- Heat a large dutch oven to medium high heat and add 1 tsp olive oil. (This is the same pot you will eventually bake the pasta in).
- Salt + Pepper the chicken, then add it to the pot and flip them with tongs until cooked through. Set aside.
- In a mini food processor or mortar & pestle (I used a mortar & pestle) combine basil, garlic, parmesan, olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- In the same pot used to cook chicken, melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add the cream and use a spoon to scrape any bits from bottom of pan until everything is well incorporated. Add the basil sauce and stir until combined.
- Once pasta is cooked mix into sauce and add chicken back in. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt/pepper/red pepper flakes to your liking.
- Stir in mozzarella balls and cherry tomatoes.
- Bake for 10-15 mins until cheese has melted. Enojy!
Serving size: ⅙th Calories: 509 Fat: 20 Carbohydrates: 45 Sugar: 5 Fiber: 4 Protein: 37